- What is the difference between a confirmation report and a status report?
A confirmation report verifies only whether an international medical graduate is ECFMG certified. A status report also verifies ECFMG certification status, but also indicates passing performance on exams, medical school information and the status of the individual's medical education credentials.
- Which examination scores are provided on a status report?
A status report provides information on the examination(s) passed for ECFMG certification. If subsequent examinations have been taken, the requester may have to contact the appropriate registration organization to obtain information on these examinations. Scores for USMLE Step exams are not included in Status Reports. These scores are reported in USMLE transcripts.
- How long does it take to process a request?
Requests are processed within two weeks of receipt of a completed request at ECFMG.
- Can a report be sent by an express mail service?
A response will be sent by an express mail carrier if a prepaid air bill or account number is included with the request form. This service is not available for requests submitted through CVS ON-LINE.
- How can requesters verify receipt and processing of their requests?
ECFMG's Applicant Information Services (AIS) representatives can verify processing of requests. To speak with an AIS representative, call (215) 386-5900.
- Can international medical graduates request a confirmation or status report for themselves?
CVS reports are sent only to third parties. International medical graduates can request a USMLE transcript or ECFMG Exam Chart.
- Are USMLE transcripts sent to state medical boards?
No. ECFMG will provide Status Reports to state medical boards. This report indicates passing performance on examination(s) for ECFMG Certification. State medical boards that require additional USMLE information should contact the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB).
- Is there a fee for this service?
Yes. The fee is $25 per report.
- Can CVS fees be paid with a credit card?
Yes. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards are accepted for payment of the fee of $25 per report. Requesting organizations must complete a Credit Card Payment Form.
- How is incorrect information on a report corrected?
Upon notification of the discrepancy, ECFMG will review the physician's file. In some instances, the physician may be required to submit documents to ECFMG. If information is changed, ECFMG will send a revised report.
- How are requests from "Fifth Pathway" physicians handled?
Fifth Pathway is an American Medical Association program. Fifth Pathway physicians are not certified by ECFMG. As a result, ECFMG does not verify Fifth Pathway status. ECFMG will send a response stating that the physician is not ECFMG certified.
- How are requests regarding graduates of medical schools in Canada and Puerto Rico handled?
Graduates of medical schools in the United States (including Puerto Rico) and Canada are not considered "international medical graduates" and therefore are not required to obtain ECFMG Certification. An ECFMG Identification Number is issued to graduates of Canadian medical schools only for purposes of Exchange Visitor Sponsorship (J-1 visa). ECFMG will send a letter explaining this ECFMG policy in response to these requests.
- What if the requesting organization does not receive the report?
ECFMG will honor requests for duplicate reports at no additional cost up to ninety days after the date that the original report was processed.