Sunday, December 17, 2006

Residency World - Cardiology

Residency world - Cardiology

This is another popular and competitive IM subspecialty. It also is considered one of the three most procedural subspecialties in IM (sharing the honor with GI and Pulmonary/critical care). Cardiology is a 3 year fellowship, with at least 2 years of required clinical training time. The rest of the fellowship can be spent in research or additional clinical time. The clinical practice of cardiology is highly varied, and it allows for a large number of areas of subspecialization. Cardiologists can do angiograms, angioplasties (with interventional training), right heart catheterization, echocardiograms, manage heart failure, coronary artery disease, hypertension, treat arrhythmias, treat pre- and post- heart transplant patients, and manage adult patients with congenital heart disease, just to name a few. Some cardiologists will choose to do further subspecialty training. After cardiology fellowship, graduates can do a 1-year fellowship in interventional cardiology, where they get trained in such things as angioplasties, coronary artery stenting, valvuloplasty, and even things like pulmonary artery stenting. Another certified fellowship that cardiology grads can do is a 1-year fellowship in cardiac electrophysiology, where fellows are trained in pacemaker placement and interrogation, intracardiac defibrillator placements, cardiac resynchronization therapy, and VT/VF and afib/flutter ablation techniques, among other procedures.

Source: http://www.usmlestep.com

1 comment:

.... said...

Frankly, I wish you mentioned NONinvasive cardiology as one of the subspecialties budding physicians should consider. It doesn't have the heroic mystique of a cardiothoracic surgeon, but its got to be more statisfying to treat a patient with a conservative medical regimen that often is as, if not more, effective than the CABG. I want to invite you to read my blog, at http://wordworks2001.blogspot.com.

Hypertension is a major cause of angina. Check out my blog at http://wordworks2001.blogspot.com.

I am a 59-year-old retired US Army master sergeant. I was compelled to start this site to alert unsuspecting patients that have been told they need a coronary bypass that you probably don't. I was told by an invasive cardiologist in April 2004, that my heart was in great shape, but I needed a quintuple bypass. Why, I wondered is my heart doing so good when the vessels that feed it oxygen are all clogged? Despite being told I needed surgery right away and that I was a walking time bomb, I got a second opinion and I am glad I did. Not only did I save myself from getting my chest cracked open in a major surgery, I saved a lot of money. PLEASE, get a second opinion whenever someone wants to give you a bypass. And read this entire blog.